post-genre pop from Austin, TX
Cutting vocals in the woods behind his college dorm. Mixing in the backseat of a sedan. Sneaking into the music department after hours to teach himself to play new instruments (and sneaking out before the faculty arrived in the morning). From the start, Mobley's work has been marked by solitude, ingenuity, and a drive that could only be called obsessive. Whether you experience the Austin-based artist on record or at one of his incomparable one-man band concerts, the passion is palpable in every aspect. He singlehandedly writes, performs, & produces his music, designs his artwork, directs his videos, produces his multimedia live shows, and even builds new instruments to carry out his vision.
Most recently, he's composed dozens of pieces for stage and television (HBO, Fox, NBC), played hundreds of US and international tour dates (with the likes of Phantogram, JUNGLE, Cold War Kids, Mutemath & Robert Delong and at festivals like ACL, SXSW, CMJ, Savannah Stopover and Float Fest), and recorded (then scrapped) two albums in pursuit of the songs that would become his latest release, Fresh Lies, Vol. I. The music -- which Mobley calls "post-genre pop" -- defies easy classification, but uses the familiar form of love songs to explore the intricacies of his relationship with his country. The project is the first installment of what Mobley envisions as a career-spanning song cycle addressing the theme, with plans to release a volume for each generation of his family since his ancestors were first brought to the continent.
"A maker of boundary-pushing pop that urges listeners to throw all assumptions to the wayside..."
"One of Austin’s most interesting and talented artists, Mobley turns the smallest of the stages into an amphitheater of lights, textures and overwhelming sound."
"Master of all (musical) trades..."
- Wonderland Magazine
"Watch a three-minute transformation of Mobley from nobody to superstar in "Solo"
- Noisey (VICE)
"[Mobley] is a rare breed..I seldom toss the words 'musical genius' around lightly, but that's what we're dealing with here."
- Ryan's Smashing Life
Included in Consequence of Sound's Top 5 2017 ACL sets, Austin Chronicle's 2017 7 Artists to see at SXSW, & Do512's Top 10 Live Acts
- Some Other Country EP (> 2 million Spotify plays)
- Videos released for singles "Tell Me", "Solo", and "Swoon"
- Over 1.3 million Spotify plays for lead single "Swoon"
- Over 575k Soundcloud plays
- SXSW 2016-2018 official artist
- Booking representation from MOB Agency (No Doubt, Gwen Stefani, Fountains of Wayne, Sun Kil Moon, Sarah Jaffe, James Iha & more)
- National publicity campaign from Tell All Your Friends PR
- ~200+ US and Mexico tour dates played since spring 2016 including Austin City Limits (ACL) Festival, Noise Pop, UtopiaFest, Savannah Stopover, True/False Film Fest, Float Fest, and more
- Opened for the likes of Cold War Kids, JUNGLE, Nile Rodgers, Mutemath, and WAVVES
- Coverage from Billboard, Noisey, KUTX, Wonderland Magazine, Brightest Young Things and placements on Fox TV, HBO, NBC and more
- Mentions in Rolling Stone, the NY Times, American Songwriter
- Black Fret 2017 Major Grant Winner
- Mailing list reach of over 10k fans